Print Header
Hi, you are logged in as , if you are not , please click here

Council Tax Exemption Certificate




Whilst you are a full-time student at the University of Nottingham you may not need to pay council tax.

If you live in one of the following areas, Student Services will automatically inform your Council that you are a full time student:

• Broxtowe Borough Council
• Derby City Council
• Erewash Borough Council
• Gedling Borough Council
• North West Leicestershire District Council
• Nottingham City Council
• Rushcliffe Borough Council

Please note that if you live in one of these areas, you do not need to request a council tax exemption document, as we will contact your local council for you. If you receive a request for payment of council tax, and you live in one of these areas, notify your local council in writing that you are a student here and that your name appears on the University's listing.


Detailed Description

If you live outside of the above areas then you may not need to request a council tax exemption certificate. 

Council tax exemption certificates are free of charge. Only one copy is permitted per academic year.

Please note: if you choose to collect your document from Student Services it must be collected within 6 weeks. Documents not collected within 6 weeks will be destroyed.

If you have any queries, please email

How would you rate your experience today?

How can we contact you?

What could we do better?

   Change Code